The aim of the course is to provide the basic knowledge of the methods of statistical analysis and their application and interpretation in the psycholinguistic field, starting from the organization and analysis of real databases. The main concepts of statistical reasoning, both descriptive and inferential, will be presented and discussed, providing the student with the operational tools that make it able to carry out simple statistical analyses in the field of experimental linguistics and human sciences, interpreting and presenting the results in a critical way.
- Organize a set of real data and recognize its type and structure.
- Identify the optimal tools to be applied in the empirical analysis of a database.
-Apply the main methods of descriptive and inferential statistical analysis.
- Critically interpret the results of a statistical analysis, contextualizing them with reference to the real situation under examination in experimental linguistics.
- Present the results of the analyses in an effective and appropriate manner.
- The Nature of data: scales of measurement
- Univariate frequency distributions
- Descriptive statistics: measures of central tendency
- Descriptive statistics: measures of variability
- Z -scores, quartiles, and percentiles
- Bivariate frequency distributions
- Probability distributions
- Sampling distributions
- Hypothesis testing
- Correlation and regression
The free statistics software JASP will be used for the practical part of the course.
Lecture slides will be provided throughout the course.
FURTHER OPTIONAL BIBLIOGRAPHY:
Lowie W, & Seton B. (2012). Essential Statistics for Applied Linguistics, Macmillan
Field A. (2018). Discovering Statistics Using IBM SPSS Statistics. Fifth Edition, SAGE Publications
Primi C. & Chiesi F. (2018). Introduzione alla psicometria, Laterza
The final exam is a written test assessing theoretical and practical issues covered during the course.
To pass the exam the student should have understood the theoretical principles, be able to use them in order to perform basic data analysis and interpret results.
Students who cannot attend the lessons are invited to contact the teacher.
Viale dell'Università 4
VAT number 01541040232
Italian Fiscal Code 93009870234
© 2019 | Verona University | Credits