- Learn methods and theories of Linguistics according to the different levels of analysis (phonology, morphology, syntax, information structure).
- Recognize and describe in an appropriate and uniform way the main structural phenomena occurring in languages at different levels of analysis.
- Acquire experience to develop a critical attitude towards methods and theoretical frameworks for the study of language.
- Present the results of the work with the appropriate terminology and according to recognized standards.
- Increase the ability to learn theories and technical terminology in further studies.
Basic concepts in linguistics
A. Phonology as a discipline and as a system of "knowledge"
B. Phonetics. Segments. Features.
C. Suprasegmental features
2. Grammatical categories
A. Part of speech
E. Case and alignment
3. Descriptions of linguistic phenomena (glossing standards)
|Hayes, Bruce||Introductory Phonology||Wiley-Blackwell||2009||9781405184113||Only relevant parts: see the list of relevant parts in the section "teaching aids" / "materiale didattico" below.|
|Merlin, S. / Rizza, A.||Papers, slides, and other materials available in the e-learning course (moodle)||2018|
The preparation of the students will be verified with ongoing tests also exploiting the potential of the moodle platform, in particular through tests and papers (in written form). A brief final interview on the whole teaching program will follow in the dates of the exam.
The teachers will evaluate the level of the acquired knowledge of the fundamental methods and theories of linguistics and the ability to recognize and describe the structural phenomena of languages in an appropriate and uniform way, according to the topics treated during the course, in particular the points about phonology and about grammatical categories. Critical thinking and communicative skills (mostly the use of the technical terminology) are also considered for evaluation.
*How to prepare to pass the exam.*
We have uploaded, in the § "Teaching aids" below, a new document with directions and suggestions for get ready to pass the exam.