Principal aim of this class is to present the crucial phase of the period included in the period 1914-1989. Main focus is oriented to the political, cultural and social relationships between Europe and other areas and towards the effects produced by global transformations of economy and international relations.
At the end of this class participant will able to: a) have a clear knowledge of the most important events connected to the period 1914-1989, b) use a critical approach to contemporary history using a global perspectives, c) use the different historiographical interpretations.
Topics of this class will be:
- IWW and the the rise of totalitarians regimes in Europe,
- Italian fascism and European fascisms,
- The origins and the development of National Socialism,
- Stalin and Union Soviet,
- Italian Republican regime,
- The post war diplomatic balance and the beginning of Cold War,
- Relationships between Europe and United States,
- Decolonization and the new geopolitical map of the world,
- The Sixty: revolutions, new dictatorships, protests,
-The crisis of American hegemony and the fall of URSS,
- Europe and the world after 1989.
1. T. Detti-G. Gozzini, Storia contemporanea, II, Il Novecento, Bruno Mondadori, 2002
2. one book among:
E. Traverso, A ferro e a fuoco. La guerra civile europea (1914-1945), Il Mulino, 2008.
G. Crainz, Storia del miracolo italiano, Donzelli, 2005.
E. Di Nolfo, Il mondo atlantico e la globalizzazione. Europa e Stati Uniti: storia, economia e politica, Mondadori Università, 2014.
Students not able to partecipate to the lessons must add another book:
R. Overy, Crisi tra le due guerre mondiali 1919-1939, Il Mulino, 1998.
Class included frontal lessons, movies and DVD visions.
Assessment methods and criteria
1. exam is based on a written text.
2. Students must demonstrate their capacity in using historical concepts and the appropriate language. They must also demonstrate their ability in the connection between different historical processes, both national and international.
3. Questions will be based on the most important topics discussed during the lessons and suggested in the references.
4. Method of valuation: the vote is expressed in marks from 18 to 30/30.
Erasmus and overseas student can choose between written and oral examination. They can use books in foreign languages (English, French and Spanish).
For more details: contact the teacher during his office hours.
Viale dell'Università 4
VAT number 01541040232
Italian Fiscal Code 93009870234
© 2020 | Verona University | Credits